Methodist Missions


 


This is for my Missions Class. Please read the following portions that was cropped from our book and unless other wise stated, answer them in your MS notebooks. You may use other resources if need be.



METHODIST MISSIONS

(source: Terry, John Mark and Robert L. Gallagher, "Encountering the History of Missions From the Early Church to Today". 2017 Baker Academic)

I. 



1. You've seen street preachers or market preachers or even bus preachers. As a denomination, should we also use this strategy for our missions? Why or why not? (5 points)
2. Personally, do you have the heart (or guts) to do this for the ministry? Explain. (5 points)


II.


3. As a denomination, how would you rate our ministry in this area? What made you say that? (5 points)


III.

4. How did Charles Wesley influence the musical and literary styles of hymnody? (5 points)

5. How did John and Charles Wesley shape the direction of the Wesleyan faith through their hymns? (5 points)



IV. This will be answered in the comment section below. Find a hymn by Charles Wesley and reflect on it. Choose a line or two or three from the hymn and look at it from a perspective of missions. How does it apply? How does it inspire? 

NOTE: this is a first come first served basis on the use of a particular hymn. If someone already chose the hymn, you cannot use that hymn for your own.

FORMAT: 

Name:
Hymn:
Line/s:
Answer:


Comments

  1. Name: Praise Fear Taling
    Hymn: "Heads of the Church Triumphant"
    Line/s: Thou dost conduct Thy people
    Through torrents of temptation,
    Nor will we fear, while Thou art near,
    The fire of tribulation.

    Answer: why I chose these lines, because I know and for sure that the bible speaks of the second coming of Christ (ends times) and speaks of the great tribulation. Though the great tribulation will comes in our way while we are still in this fallen world, but Christ will keep us from falling away (that's His promise to those who are elected as His sons). These also reminds me that why we fear, why afraid? according to the lines, "Through torrents of temptation, Nor will we fear", I do believe that we will be going to a great suffering, but the next line said, "By faith we see the glory". I should say Amen for that. Christ is our refuge and He will strengthen us no matter what we are going through. This suffering that I have is just manifestation of the truthfulness of His word in (1 Peter 1).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Name: Viron

    Hymn: O Jesu, let me kiss thy Name!

    Lines: What shall I do my suit to gain?
    O Lamb of God, for sinners slain,
    I plead what thou hast done:
    Didst thou not die the death for me?
    Jesu, remember Calvary,
    And break this heart of stone.

    Answer: Gospel in its simplest form. The last line strikes not just the unbelieving heart, but also those whose hearts are already broken and renewed. Those who have tasted and seen the grace of God in their lives, to also share this truth in the Gospel, to break their hearts of stone in rebellion against God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Name:Christian Ricor A. Ortega
    Hymn:Jesus lover of my soul
    Line/s: Jesus, lover of my soul,
    Let me to Thy bosom fly,
    While the nearer waters roll,
    While the tempest still is high:
    Hide me, O my Savior, hide,
    Till the storm of life is past;
    Safe into the haven guide;
    O receive my soul at last.
    Answer:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Answer: He guides us and is our refuge especially in times of doubts and troubles. And he is our only salvation.

      Delete

Post a Comment